Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Hunter's Star quilt top

Hi Everyone,

Over the long weekend, I worked hard on my hunter's star quilt.  It was all worth it.  I am pleased with the results.

Now comes the contemplation of how to quilt it.  I would like to show off my piecing on the stars, I am very proud of how well I was able to do on my first star block.  And I would also like to try to emphasize the secondary arrow blocks.  

I think I want to do some straight stitching with the walking foot as much as possible maybe with some free motion in the borders.  I'm thinking I will start with some stitching in the ditch along the straight lines that go all the way across the quilt but not go into the borders.  I will avoid the lines that cut into an arrow block.  

Once this is done, I'm going to try to continue stitching in the ditch on the stars and along the arrows.  Possibly without any fillers inside the stars so that they will stand out.  However, in the arrows, I am thinking that I might do a couple echo lines inside to accentuate the arrows so they will stand out as well.  

It's way too early for me to decide what I will be doing on the borders.  I just saw Angela Walters do a wavy V design on the border of her "Frequency" Rainbow Star Quilt on YouTube.  This idea I will be thinking about.  

I am open for suggestions.  I am very new to this and anything is helpful.  

Thanks for stopping by,
Cherie

12 comments:

  1. Your quilt top looks awesome! I think emphasizing the red arrows with straight lines would work well...then maybe some denser, circular quilting in the lighter areas would help the arrows stand out. You're on the right track....trust your instincts. It's going to be gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. I like your idea. This is only my 6th quilt. I put my sandwich together and and started on a couple of the stitched in the ditches. I am hopeful I will be able to get into the good stuff this weekend.

      Delete
  2. Awesome quilt top! I have yet to make a Hunter's Star - it's somewhere on the list. You may want to think about repeating some of the quilting elements from the main body of the quilt in the border, especially in the wide one. Do link up again when it's finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan, Thanks for the idea. Maybe some diamonds or v's in the large border. I have since started to free motion on the red arrows. It's not going very fast. I have a couple vacation days tomorrow and Friday so I'm hoping to get some done. I am having some bobbin tension issues only when I travel certain ways. Any ideas why this is happening or what I can do to fix it? I am working on some pictures to do a post on. Hopefully tomorrow.

      Delete
  3. Hi Cherie,
    WOWEE - what a beautiful quilt. Your hunter stars look great, and you should be very proud of yourself. I can see why you are thinking of a wavy line in the border based on some of your fabrics. That is another stitch you can probably do with your walking foot and a stitch on your domestic machine. I sure do look forward to seeing what you decide. I'm on the hunt for something to make as a quilt for my bed, and this might just be it. I LOVE it. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Roseanne, Thanks for the praise. I used a MSQC hunters star tutorial. It was very easy for me. However, it did take some time to trim up all those half square triangles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is certainly a beautiful quilt top! Well done! How to quilt is always a bit of a dilemma for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement. I've moved over to Cherie's Quilting Journey on WordPress. Please stop by if you have a chance.

      Delete
  6. I have no suggestions - just that it looks terrific so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I've moved over to Cherie's Quilting Journey on WordPress. Please stop by if you have a chance.

      Delete
  7. Hunters Star- love him. Quilt beautiful

    ReplyDelete

Hunter's Star quilt top

Hi Everyone, Over the long weekend, I worked hard on my hunter's star quilt.  It was all worth it.  I am pleased with the results. ...